Managing Editor – Fine Cooking
||63 South Main Street – Newtown
|FINE COOKING MAGAZINE is looking for an energetic, experienced Managing Editor with 5+ years of publishing experience, ideally in the cooking enthusiast category. A person in this role will work closely with the Editorial Director to plan, manage and produce core issues. Working with the copy editor, the managing editor is responsible for tracking and maintaining individual and department deadlines and maintaining workflow between the edit and art staff. This individual is expected to produce senior-editor-level content for all issues.
The ideal candidate is highly organized and detailed, has excellent editing and writing skills, and is multi-media savvy. A culinary school certificate or professional cooking experience and a passion for food is essential for this role. The position is located in our Newtown, CT offices.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sponsors features and departments: The managing editor performs as a fully capable editor, but with a lighter article and department load to allow time for management duties.
- Monitors the progress of each issue: The managing editor is aware of the status of each article or department and can alert the right people as to necessary action, including alerting the Editorial Director to potential problems. This involves managing freelance editors, consulting with the copy editor on all deadlines for editorial to make sure that editors are making their deadlines, and keeping the Editorial Director updated on editors’ productivity and follow-through.
- Manages copy/production editor and deadlines: With the help of the copy/production editor, the managing editor is responsible for timely production of all issues. This team effort requires tracking individual and department deadlines and maintaining a smooth workflow between editors and the art department.
- Schedules department content: The managing editor is responsible for working with editors to identify opportunities with department content.
- Editorial responsibilities: Contributes content ideas for content calendar. Contacts authors and works with them to develop and outline content ideas, and oversee story development. Edits raw manuscript to produce lively, readable, and informative copy. Works with art director to develop art and/or photo plans to illustrate articles. Reviews copy at every station of production. Reads and edits content in loop packages.
- Brand representative: Represents the brand at media, trade and special events.
- 5+ years’ publishing experience, ideally in cooking enthusiast category
- Culinary school certificate or professional cooking experience a must
- Solid writing and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership abilities
- Proven computer (MS Office) proficiency and digitally savvy
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities and consistently meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for food